Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Farmers Market Spring Fling!




Last weekend I attended the final winter Farmers Market, I say final "winter" market because it is finally Spring! The theme of the market was Spring Fling! Spring has certainly arrived here on the west coast. We have had flowers on all our fruit trees for weeks, most of them have fallen in a snow like frenzy a week or so ago and have been replaced with shiny new leaves for the growing season!
I was also volunteering this weekend at the New West Environmental Partners table, to promote the cause as well as raise awareness about the plans for the community gardens in New Westminster.

(here is another volunteer Rebecca hiding behind the information sign:)
I also found some time to do a little shopping. I was happy to find a few types of kale as I have a recent obsession with making Kale chips- Yummy!
I bought some local honey, walnuts, garlic, kettle popped popcorn, eggs and potatoes! I also got a few samples of teas form a local fair trade company called Black and Green they sell tea out of their yoga studio called Bamboo Yoga


I was also pleased to see Louie Sella with Quality Oak Accents
cutting boards- (604)941-3406

I bought one of these last year at the west end farmers market when I lived down town. These boards are not only practical but also beautiful works of art. I went over to say hello and talk to Louie about how my board is holding up after a year of heavy use (wonderfully) I also told him how I religiously follow his instructions, which he includes with each purchase and highly emphasises! "Do not submerge in water, put in dishwasher, or wipe with bleach! Wipe with soapy hot water and dry board immediately! " With proper care the board will never split and last decades! You can see my board in the picture with my market treasures above!

As it is almost planting season I couldn't resist a few things for my garden as well! Herbs including two types of sage, dill, chives, rosemary and mint! I also bought some succulents called hen and chicks! These little plants are so lovely and will perfect in my rock garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment